Truro to Kentville, NS

It was a perfectly sunny day and warm with temps in the 80’s by noon. It was quite breezy and the weather forecast was predicting 90% chance of rain and high winds for Tuesday, so we adjusted our plans to stay 2 nights instead of just one. Our trip to Kentville was 97 miles today. We slept an hour later than usual and left at 10:00. We took a shortcut along a lesser highway through rolling hillsides dotted with dairy farms. It might have saved us distance in miles, but probably not time. That was ok. We have nothing but time. It must have been washday in the countryside. So many homes had clothes hanging out on the line to dry. The road was lightly traveled which was nice. We connected with main Highway 101, which is considered the Harvest Highway.

It wasn’t hard to see why with all the farms in this valley. It wasn’t long before we got our first view of the Bay of Fundy from a distance. 

We didn’t travel long on the highway before we reached our exit.

Our campground, Highbury Gardens, was convenient just off the exit.

We set up camp in site #18 by 12:30. It was a large site with both sun and lots of shade.

We ate lunch in camp under the shade of an old tree. We both relaxed and did some reading about places to go and things to do. About 2:00, we took the 15 mile drive, up and over the top of the ridge, to Halls Harbour. From the top of the ridge, we got a better view of the Bay of Fundy and the cliffs that surround it.

As we passed through Kentville to our destination, we saw this grand old building which was the Cornwallis Inn and Shops.

Climbing up and out of town again, we had more views of the other side of the Bay of Fundy. We finally descended into the town of Halls Harbour. 

It was a hillside town right on the south shore of the Bay of Fundy.

Halls Harbour Lobster Pound Restaurant and gift shop are well known. They sat on the wharf where you could get “anything lobster”.

They had 1 pound lobsters to the jumbo ones over 3 pounds in separate tanks inside the store.

Bob picked up these gigantic lobster claws from a 10-20 pound lobster. Wow!

We walked down to the rocky beach to stand at the shore of the Bay of Fundy.

The rocky shoreline was mostly covered at high tide. We could see rocky caves that were formed by the wave action. Tomorrow when we go back at low tide, the shoreline will look a whole lot different. I walked down to the edge to test the water.

The waves were washing in, but the water wasn’t very cold at all.

While we stood there, a fishing boat left to cross the bay. It was a little rough since the waves were rolling right in to the shore.

As we walked along the shore, I picked up a few “Fundy” stones for souvenirs. They are a unique mix of minerals.

When the waves retreated over the smooth stones, they made a really cool crackling sound passing over, in, and between the rocks out to the bay. We walked on the pier where there was a sign explaining the tide gauge.

We checked the tide gauge red marker and it was almost at 32 feet. Unbelievable!

High tide was just minutes away at 3:36 and we could see the gauge move up a little as we stood there. I took some pictures of boats in the harbor during this high tide, so I could compare their location at low tide on Tuesday.

This cute little home sat on this rocky point, the epitome of a Nova Scotia scene. It even had the descending staircase to the water and birds perched on the rocky cliff.

We drove back to the campground around 4:00 to relax. I gave Bob a haircut and Auggie got to check out the inside of this dead tree.

After he lost interest in that, he found a tasty stick and chewed on that for awhile.

Our campsite is nice and woodsy and we enjoyed sitting outside doing some reading and listening to the wind in the trees. A squirrel came close enough to taunt Auggie, but stayed far enough away so Auggie couldn’t reach him. We enjoyed watching their antics!

Bob made chicken on the grill and after dinner Auggie and I took a walk around the campground. We like to do that at night to check out what all the other campers are doing. It doesn’t really get dark here until 10:00, so that’s when we go to check out the stars.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *