September 8, 2018 Quechee, VT to White Mountains, NH

We didn’t have far to go today, so we weren’t in any hurry to leave.  We wanted to make some camping reservations for the next leg of our trip.  We had done our research, planned where we wanted to go, and scoped out the campgrounds online a couple of days ago so it was just a matter of making the phone calls.  After making the calls, we made our preparations to leave.  We pulled out of the campground at 11:00 with only 60 miles to go.  It was sunny, but cool, only 58 degrees.  We crossed the Connecticut River that forms the border between Vermont and New Hampshire.
We weren’t on the Interstate very long before we turned off onto a two-lane, Highway 4, for about 15 miles. Bob noticed that the highway signs had the Old Man on the Mountain logo on them.  Can you see the profile of the face there?
Again we saw more moose crossing signs, but no moose.  We keep looking.
The highway took us through the mountains and many small towns with interesting scenery.  We saw this flock of wild turkeys along the side of the road.  
The road through the countryside looked like a long thin ribbon.
We began to see the mountains in the distance.
As we drove through the village of Crampton, we knew we were getting close to our destination.
We arrived at our campground–Goose Hollow Camp and RV Park–around 12:15.  
We checked in a could see Patti and Mike’s camper and truck.  We were in the campsite next to them, #29.
We were backed right up to the Mad River that flows behind us.

Once we got set up, Mike made a fire and we all sat around the campfire and got caught up on things.  We haven’t seen them since last spring in Tropic Isles, so there was a lot of catching up to do.  
The sun warmed things up a little to 63 degrees by the middle of the afternoon.  We took Auggie for a walk around the campground and down to the river to check it out.  

Auggie went wild with all the smells, squirrels, and chipmunks that were driving him crazy.  Here he is “on point” for one of those chipmunks!
Around 5:00, we drove to the Mad River Tavern for dinner.  Patti got a recommendation from the owner, so we thought we’d check it out.  The parking lot was full so that was a good sign.  The food was good and I tried their brand of root beer that was also very tasty.
After dinner, we took a drive up to Waterville Valley–a community in the mountains and a ski hill at the end of the road.  It is called the birthplace of freestyle skiing.

By the time, we got back to the campground, the sun had set behind the hills and caused the clouds to glow pink!  How beautiful!  Once the sun set, the temp cooled off quite a bit and it was time for a campfire.
We sat around the campfire as darkness fell and tried to keep warm from the campfire’s heat. Around 9:00, we retired for the night to watch a little TV, work on my blog, and get warm inside the camper with the fireplace going.  Tomorrow we have a big day planned with a trip up the Cog Railway to the top of Mt. Washington.  It will be cold up there, but at least the sun is supposed to be out.  We are really looking forward to it!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *