September 26, 2018 Shady Pines, NJ to Cherry Hill, MD (Washington DC)

There was a bit of fog this morning, but it started to burn off as the sun popped out now and then.  We got a little later start than we planned and left at 10:000.  It was already 77 degrees and muggy.  We jumped on the Atlantic City Expressway to take us across the southern portion of the New Jersey.  It would bring us just south of Philadelphia and the border of Pennsylvania which is the Delaware River that divides New Jersey and Pennsylvania.  We hit a little drizzle along the way– nothing major, just annoying.  Traffic, road conditions, and signs got a little hairy as we left the toll road and got onto I-295 towards Delaware.  Then the traffic thinned out and road conditions improved.  We would only be driving through the very northern tip of Delaware after crossing the Delaware River and the Delaware Memorial Bridge.  The bridge was 3 miles long and very high over the river.

Looking down the Delaware River we could see the ships below us.
In the distance, we could see the Wilmington skyline.  
We drove a short 15 minutes in Delaware before crossing the border into Maryland.
After another 30 miles, we crossed the Susquehanna River on the northern end of Chesapeake Bay and another bridge.

I-95 was lightly traveled through the wooded countryside in northern Maryland to Baltimore.
We took Baltimore’s Outer Loop, I-695, north around Baltimore and we came out on the southern outskirts of the city.  The sun came out and temps rose to 87 degrees near Baltimore.  We continued south towards Washington, D.C.  Our campground, Cherry Hill Park, was north of D.C. near College Park.
We arrived at 1:45 and checked in at the office.
Cherry Hill Campground is huge.  It was a very nice place with lots of amenities and tours going into Washington, D.C.  It made me want to stay longer and visit D.C. again, just so I could stay here.  We took a pull-through site, #916, for an overnight stay.
I decided to do my last batch of wash here since we were located convenient to the campground laundry and I had some time this afternoon.  It only took me a little over an hour to do the wash and then it was time for a swim.
Bob joined me at the pool for awhile before dinner.  We had pork chops on the grill and took Auggie for a walk after dinner.  I wanted to treat myself to an ice cream at the Cafe’.  The Cafe’ serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner with indoor and outdoor seating.
They also have a TV, fireplace, lounge, and a game room.  This is where I sat while I waited for my wash to get done.  It was very comfortable.
We finished our walk around the campground and returned to watch a little TV. We got back to the campsite just in time to beat the rain.  A line of thunderstorms had arrived and we just missed getting wet. We stayed hooked up to the truck tonight, so we would not have much to do to leave in the morning.  We had a relaxing evening.  

Special note:  Bob drove across two bridges today that he didn’t think he would be able to do.  He did it with confidence and ease.  I was very proud of him!  Way to go to overcome your fears!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *