Saint John to Moncton, NB

We’re getting so good at taking down camp that we were ready to go in no time. We were on the road at 9:00 for our short trip of 97 miles today. (Note: Bob entered all our trip destination locations onto the blog map. Click on the map to see where we are and where we’ve been.) We’ve been traveling about 100 or so miles every time we move to give ourselves time to enjoy the beauty of our surroundings and so some sight seeing when we get to where we are going. We continued to travel along scenic Highway 1 east over some hilly terrain.

We caught sight of a long covered bridge spanning a river along the highway.

We continued to keep our eyes open for moose in the appropriate habitats, but only saw one deer. It was a gorgeous sunny day with a light wind. It was a cooler morning than yesterday with a temp of 64 degrees. Traffic was light and the road was smooth. (The more we drive with the RV, the more we appreciate the importance of good quality roads.) Everything looked very green considering they haven’t had any rain for 2 weeks. They even had a ban on campfires at the last campground. We traveled on the Trans Canada Highway 2 for a few miles before taking our exit to Camper’s City Campground.

We arrived at 10:45 to check in and were all set up by 11:15.

The three of us took a walk around the campground to stretch our legs. Later, Bob and I worked on putting our latitude and longitude locations on the blog map so people can see where we are. After lunch, we took a ride into the town of Moncton.

We wanted to check out Magnetic Hill. This was one of the sights to experience in Moncton that was listed in our guide book.

For an unusual experience, visitors on Magnetic Hill drive “downhill” to a white post and then, with gears in neutral and brakes released, the car moves backward up the hill.

This is the car in front of us coming back up the hill all on its own. I had to look to be sure Bob didn’t have his feet on the pedals…..and he didn’t.

It’s kind of a weird experience because it really does happen, but the phenomenon is an optical illusion from the surrounding hillside sloping away from the road.

We stopped in the newly built casino to get some information on their surf and turf buffet for $9.99 on Friday and Saturday. We saw the advertisement on TV and didn’t realize that we would be this close to the casino.

We had to sign up for their FREE rewards program which allows us to earn points at the casino, get the discount on meals, and free beverages. We couldn’t pass it up, so we’ll have dinner there tomorrow. From there, we drove in downtown Moncton to the Visitor’s Center. We wanted to get some information on the Tidal Bore and when to view it.

It was located next to Bore Park where we should be able to view the Tidal Bore phenomenon.

The Tidal Bore runs up the Peticodiac River twice daily causing a small tidal wave. The incoming tide moves upstream against the regular flow of water, causing a single river-wide wave. After the Bore, the Peticodiac River basin rapidly fills with water and within an hour, the water level rises more than 25 feet passing 28.3 million gallons of water. We missed the Tidal Bore event today at 11:00, but tomorrow we can catch it again at 11:36. The river is a brown rust color–the same color as the soil along the banks.

On the way back to the campground, we stopped at one of their government-run liquor (FR: alcool) stores to check prices.

We got back to the campsite in time for appetizers and beverages. The temp was close to 72 degrees when the sun was out, but the breeze made things feel cooler. At least the sun was out most of the time. We cleaned up and Bob made us dinner of pork chops on the grill. (Note for Paul: Bob hooked up the satellite tv and it works great in New Brunswick.) We walked Auggie after dinner and made plans to leave early to do some sightseeing tomorrow.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *