Palmetto to Savannah, GA

Last night when we went to hook up the trailer, we discovered the battery was dead, so Bob had to run to Wal-Mart to get a new one before we could run the power jack. Once that one was installed, we were good to go. We then pulled the trailer in front of our house so it would be ready to go in the morning. 

We got a good night’s sleep and left the house at 8:15. Our neighbors, Denny and Brigid, came to see us off. We had great traveling weather with partly sunny skies, temps in the lower 80’s and no wind. It was also pretty humid. Traffic wasn’t too bad for a Sunday. We traveled at an average speed of 60 mph per hour. Auggie took his usual spot on the console between Bob and I. From there, he can get a good view out the window and even take a snooze.

Bob kept commenting about how many other RV’s were passing us. Everyone was passing us it seemed. We finally had to laugh when we passed a semi going up a hill, but coming down he overtook us and was gone like the wind. Oh well…… After about 10 miles on the road, we made a quick stop to check the tires, the taillights, and make sure everything was working properly. Everything checked out ok and so we continued on our way. The ride north through Orlando and up I-95 was pretty uneventful. We stopped in a rest area to have lunch and stretch our legs near Daytona Beach. Auggie needed to get out and stretch his legs as well. As we neared Jacksonville, we could see the beautiful bridge that spans the St. John’s River. It kind of reminds me of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.

As we crossed the bridge, we could see down the river where the cargo ships were loading and unloading containers. This was the same bridge that we had passed under two years ago on our way down the St. John’s River.

We stopped for gas just south of Jacksonville. The prices were falling as we headed north. The cheapest price that we saw was $3.02. By now the temperature on the truck thermometer showed 101 degrees. It was steamy. We traveled the rest of the way with lighter traffic until we reached the southern edge of Savannah where we exited to find our campground for the night….Savannah Oaks RV Resort. We arrived at 3:15 and took sight #65 which we had reserved.

On the news today we had heard about the storms that had gone through OH,VA, WV, NJ, and Washington, DC on Friday. Many people lost their lives and were without electricity. Once we got settled, we called the campgrounds for the next few nights that we had reservations for. Tomorrow’s campground in NC had not been affected by the storms, but our campground in VA did not have power yet. Just in case, we made alternate reservations at a campground about 20 miles farther west that had no issues with the storm. We couldn’t believe that neither of us had heard much in the news about this storm until today. Where have we been? I guess we were too busy getting things ready for this trip to notice. We relaxed in the AC of the trailer before having dinner, while we waited for the sun to go down and cool things off outside a bit. Later, Bob cooked chicken on the grill. Auggie and I took a walk around the campground after dinner to check things out. He especially wanted to chase the squirrels. We relaxed with a little TV before calling it a night so that we could get an early start in the morning. The first day went well traveling a total of 383.5 miles.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *