Old Orchard Beach to Bar Harbor, ME

June 26, 2023 It was a foggy, 64 degree morning when we got up. We were packed up, hooked up, and on the road by 10:00. It was foggy on the highway, but visibility improved the further we got from the coast and the water.

We took I-95, the Maine Turnpike (toll), to avoid Portland. Traffic was light on this stretch of road. Our drive today was 174 miles to Trenton, Maine where our campground is located. It is just 12 miles north of Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. The road took us through the wooded countryside with many fields of solar panels.

We continued to see “Watch for Moose in Roadway” signs. I would LOVE to see a moose!

We crossed the Androscoggin River just south of Lewiston.

I-95 north of Augusta was designated a “scenic highway” so I looked up what determines a scenic highway and it is a road with no billboards, very little signage, and limited services, but has beautiful scenery. There were rolling hills and rock outcroppings among all the trees.

These signs kept appearing – “Moose next 6 miles, Moose next 10 miles, Moose next 17 miles.” They kept promising and we kept our eyes open, but nothing! Here Moosey, Moosey! I want to see a moose!

The temp had risen to 67, but it was still cloudy and misting occasionally. We crossed the Kennebec River south of Bangor.

As we neared Bangor, we entered the “Downeast and Acadia Region”. We picked up I-395 around Bangor and crossed the Penobscot River.

From there, we took 1A south towards Ellsworth and crossed the Union River.

Just outside of Trenton, we stopped for fuel at $4.09/gal. Bob had researched where to buy cheap fuel before we left this morning, so we had a plan where to stop. While he was fueling us up, I began to unhook the Jeep. I would follow him to the campground just a mile down the road. We arrived at our campground, Timberland Acres RV Park, about 1:30 after a very uneventful, but pleasant drive. The campground is in Trenton, just north of Mt. Desert Island where Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park is located.

Bob checked us in at the office and we were given site #234, a very long pull-through site.

This was the only moose I saw on this drive–the one in front of the office.

I followed Bob through the campground to our campsite.

We got set up in no time and were all done before it started to rain. Thank goodness!

Mary and John were about an hour behind us because they got delayed crossing the border into the U.S. from Canada and they had to wait for a train on the tracks that was blocking the road for 20 minutes. They arrived about 2:30 in the rain after making good time. They were assigned site #235, but it wasn’t next to us. It was at the end of the row opposite from us. The campground is pretty full, but there are still some empty sites. The people next to us are from Wisconsin, but I haven’t found out exactly where yet. Mary popped in this afternoon and we shared stories about our trips so far. We all made plans for tomorrow. The weather this week doesn’t look all that good. Temps should be in the low 60s with rain showers off and on. We’ll have to make plans accordingly. Auggie and I took a wet walk, but at least it wasn’t raining on us. We settled in to watch some TV and turned on the floor heat to stay toasty.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *