Moncton, NB, Day 2

This was the first time we set the alarm since we left on our trip. We wanted to make sure that we would be able to get to see the Hopewell Rocks during low tide. The tide waits for no one. We left the camp at 8:15 and drove the 40 minutes to Hopewell Cape to view the rocks. The skies were clear and we started off the morning with 61 degrees. The highway paralleled the Petitcodiac River that flows into the Bay of Fundy. We were able to view the river at low tide which exposed the red, clay banks.

The highway was a roller coaster ride in the countryside passing through little towns.

We passed this cute little place along the way….the Birdhouse Garden.

We arrived at Hopewell Rocks at 9:20, paid our admission fees, and made our way to the trail entrance. The sign warned us that we would have to be off of the beach at 11:25 to avoid being trapped by the high tide.

We took the wooded path down to the beach and the amazing rocks below.

Once we got down to the edge of the cliff, we had to descend the stairs to the beach.

Down on the beach, we walked among the Flower Pot Rocks which were carved by the mighty tides of the Bay of Fundy. During low tide, visitors have six hours to walk on the ocean floor to explore 1.2 miles of shoreline. At high tide, the Bay rises to fill the caves and turn the “flower pots” into rocky islands.

You can see the waterline marks on the rocks. This one is called Lover’s Arch. We figured out that the tide rises 1 foot every 12 minutes. We stood and watched a rock get covered by the water in 12 minutes or less. It was amazing.

The rocks were covered by a different kind of seaweed. It didn’t smell or attract bugs as it waited for the water to return.

The signs also warned everyone to walk on the stones and to not walk on the wet areas that were like quicksand. Of course, there’s always someone who doesn’t heed the advice and has to test the odds. Here’s one that wasn’t too upset about getting her foot stuck in the mud.

We watched this other couple do the same thing only she got her shoe sucked right off her foot by the mud. Good thing they have a place to rinse your muddy feet at the top of the hill.

This gives a new dimension to how tall the rocks are and where the waterline is.

Many of the rocks have special names. I don’t know if this one is called ET Rock or Mother-in-Law. I’ll let you decide.

We walked along the beach to explore some of the caves. They were pretty unstable and roped off for safety.

We really enjoyed the seafloor and the Hopewell Rocks, but we had to leave there about 10:30 in order to get back to Moncton by 11:35 to catch the Tidal Bore. We took the drive back and by this time the tide was filling up some of the dry river beds along the road.

We arrived in Moncton with time to spare. The town has bleachers built right into the shore for the purpose of observing the tidal bore. We sat down and waited for it to arrive, not knowing what to expect, but anxious to see it.

Someone from the Visitor’s Center spoke to us about the history of the settlement of the area and about the Tidal Bore itself. We kept an eye downstream to watch for the Tidal Bore as it rounded the bend. The Tidal Bore occurs twice daily. When the higher waters in the Bay of Fundy cause the placid Petitcodiac River to roll back upstream in one wave. 

The wave stretches from one bank of the river to the other. Today the Tidal Bore was right on time. Bob spotted it first and it was unbelievable to watch. The bore today was only about 1 foot tall, but it can be as high as 3 feet. It’s height has to do with the season, the moon phase, and the amount of water in the river. It looked bigger than a foot and you could hear the roar of the wave as it passed.

It was SO COOL to watch and the fact that is so predictable is unreal. We were all excited to see it!

We sat awhile to watch the water rise some 25 feet to fill the river to its banks. We left and came back to check it out after about an hour. It was quite full to the brim yet.

We made our way back to camp and marveled at what we just saw. I decided to do some wash and Bob walked Auggie and worked on some Internet business. Around 5:00, we drove over to the casino for their surf and turf all-you-can-eat dinner for $9.99. It wasn’t outstanding, but it was decent and at least we got a day off from cooking. I got to try mussels and they were pretty good, but the crab legs were not as good as the ones we get in Florida. Oh well….We walked Auggie through the campground before sunset and we noticed this Red Solo Cup decoration along with the Christmas tree. The campground is doing a “Christmas in July” theme.

Another neat thing that we have discovered in quite a few of the campgrounds we’ve been to…..they will bring out a campfire ring or portable fire pit if you want to have a campfire in the evening. Here is an example of the one they use in this place. They also come around to sell firewood and to pick up your trash in the morning. What a place!

We relaxed the evening away and made preparations for our departure tomorrow. Next stop…. Nova Scotia.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *