July 31, 2019 Millinocket, ME (day 4)


Today was a day of "down time".  A little bit of cleaning, vacuuming, organizing, and running errands were the plans for today.  We had a leisurely morning of breakfast, checking emails, and phone messages from home.  Around 10:30, we headed to town to check out the "old downtown" area.  Many of the storefronts were empty, but we did like this truck front sitting atop this building.

This moose stood outside of the Moose Print Gallery and Gifts Shop in town and reminded me of how much I want to see a moose.

Our next stop was the Advance Auto store to get the trailer battery tested. The battery was good, but the converter is still suspect.  Bob ordered a converter yesterday to be delivered to our next campground near Bangor.  He checked today and it already there waiting for us.  Before leaving the auto store, Bob got a suggestion for a pizza place from the local manager there.  (That's our plan for dinner tomorrow.)  We made a quick stop at Hannaford Supermarket for a few items to tide us over.  The lady in the meat department struck up a conversation with Bob and she told him where she sees moose almost every night around 6:00.  It is only a few miles from the campground, so we made plans to check it out after dinner.  Back at the campground, we took a drive through the tenting area in the campground to see how many tenters were here.  We did discover this cool teepee that you might be able to rent.

After we had lunch, Bob and I did some needed cleaning and vacuuming.  I sat outside for a little while working on my blog, listening to the songbirds call to each other, and hearing the thunder off in the distance.  The forecast did call for scattered showers and we did have a few drops around lunchtime.  Auggie spent most of the morning outside and then took a nice long nap in the afternoon.  The campground had emptied out over the last 2 days and so all was quiet.  We had dinner and then the 3 of us left to check out that "moose area" around 6:30.  As we left, it started to rain lightly.  We found the area that was suggested, parked the truck on the side of the road, and pulled out our binoculars.  It rained harder, but we had our binoculars trained on the opposite shoreline in the hopes of seeing any movement at all.

We stayed there for about 45 minutes, scanning the shoreline for moose, but as it rained harder, it became more difficult to see anything.  We decided to call it a night and head back to the trailer.  It was raining lightly when we got back, so I grabbed an umbrella and Auggie and I took our walk.  There was a break in the rain, so we were able to get our walk in without getting too wet.  We relaxed with some TV as the rain stopped.  The sky turned a vibrant yellow and purple as the sun set, but thunder continued to rumble in the distance.  It did continue to rain off and on throughout the evening.








1 thought on “July 31, 2019 Millinocket, ME (day 4)”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *