Charleston, SC Day 3

We had a relaxing morning and Bob cooked our usual Sunday breakfast. Around 11:00, we took a drive down to the shore–to the town of Folly Beach. We had had rain showers off and on all morning, but when we left the campground, the sun was out. At the beach, the wind was really blowing from the oceanside, creating big waves and lots of surf.

There were lots of people on the beach even though the lifeguards had warning flags out for a “surf advisory”.

We decided to take a walk out on Folly Beach Fishing Pier.

The tide was out and lots of beach was exposed.

Out on the pier, we got a good view of the waves and the sound of the surf was loud. The Edwin S. Taylor Folly Beach Fishing Pier stretches 1,045 feet into the sparkling water. It is 25 feet wide and 23 feet above sea level.

This pier is the second longest pier on the East Coast. It was first opened July 4, 1995.

There were lots of people fishing on the pier and it seemed to be a very popular place. Bob stopped to chat with the fishermen there and found out that they fish for the same types of fish we have in Florida.

After spending some time on the pier we took a walk down Center St., the main street in town. We checked out a cool place called Snapper Jack’s, but didn’t stay.

We did have a beer at the Folly Beach Crab Shack. 

We enjoyed a “shacktacular” experience at the beach as the review suggested we would. The tables had big blue plastic pails inserted into the table to collect peanut shells and shellfish shells of all kinds.

The skies darkened so we headed to the truck and took a drive down Folly Beach Rd. to see if we could get a closer look at the Morris Island Lighthouse. Along the way, we could see the stilted beach houses along the shore.

Traffic was heavy as we neared the area where they were having a surfing competition.

The waves were perfect today for some really great surfing.

At the end of the road we could see the lighthouse off in the distance, but we couldn’t get close.

We headed back to the campground with a stop at Wal-Mart for a few items. There seems to be a Wal-Mart everywhere! On the way back into the park, we had to check out the fishing pier where people were trying their luck at catching blue crabs.

We stopped to talk to two gentlemen who said crabbing was slow this year, but they had caught themselves a few nice blue crabs.

They use this type of net with chicken parts tied in the bottom. It seems to work.

We left there and passed the dog park where the dogs had a fresh water lake to swim in and lots of room to romp. Most of the dogs were large dogs and there was no separate section for small dogs, so Auggie had to settle for doing his walks in the campground. He got to see just as many dogs and people there which he enjoyed.

Our last stop was to check out the Splash Park where the kids had a gigantic fountain of water to run and splash in. This park also has a regular water park and climbing wall. With all the bike trails and family activities, it is a great place to take your kids!

Once back at the campsite, we relaxed with a cocktail and gave Auggie some time outside. The skies continued to get cloudy and then sunny all afternoon, but we never got a shower. We had a later dinner and took Auggie for a walk into the primitive camping area where he could run. We had a quiet evening. Tomorrow we are heading to Myrtle Beach for a couple of days. It’s only a short 2 1/2 hour drive, so we don’t have to leave too early.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *