Bourne, MA, Day 2 Cape Cod

We woke up to another day of rain. The forecast is for rain off and on all day long. We had a leisurely morning. Bob cooked our usual Sunday breakfast of eggs and took Auggie for his walk. I made some phone calls to family and did some reading. Today we’ll have a chance to get our bearings and decide what we want to do while we’re here. Around noon, we decided to take a ride into Falmouth and Woods Hole to check things out. Bob was looking for whole-bellied clams for lunch. We started out our drive by going through the campground to check out the facilities. They have 3 pools, two of which are very close to our campsite on Ocean Dr. along with the main activity area.

Also in that area is the rec hall which contains and Clammy’s ice cream parlor and game room. Nearby is the Silver Cottage which sells jewelry.

On the other side is the Top Dog Eatery which sells sandwiches and drinks at good prices.

After checking out that area, the three of us started on our drive to Falmouth and Woods Hole. The drive into Falmouth was nice, until we got close to town. We had forgotten that they were having the New Balance Falmouth Road Race where as many as 10,000 runners gather to race from Woods Hole to the Falmouth Beach. Traffic was horrendous, but fortunately, the race was over and the racers were dispersing when we arrived in Woods Hole at the southern tip of the island. 

Woods Hole is home to The Woods Hole

Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) which is the largest independent oceanographic research institution in the United States. One of their research boats was sitting in the harbor.

We found a place to park on the street and walked down to the ferry dock where they were loading to take people to Martha’s Vineyard. It was a zoo.

We got a chance to look around at the ferry dock and find out where to go, so that when we go to Martha’s Vineyard thsi week, we know what we’re doing. We walked up and down the main street in Woods Hole checking out the establishments.

We had to wait for the small drawbridge on main street to open and close as a sailboat went through.

I noticed that the bottom of the bridge had these writings on it. I especially liked the one that said, “Summer People, Some Are Not!” I also wondered how people were able to spray paint those sayings on the underside of the bridge. Hmmm.

When we were able to cross the bridge again, we decided to check out Captian Kidd’s. 

It looked like a cool place from the outside and it was. It sat right at the marina in town and had lots of great wood inside. 

We had a beer at the bar and decided to try their Quahog clam appetizer. It tasted a lot like a crab cake with drawn butter, but chewier. It was very tasty.

Our parking meter was about to expire, so we went back to the truck and tried to make our way out of town. I did say “try”. The ferry had just come in, so our timing was horrible. It took us an hour to get through traffic in Woods Hole and Falmouth. Good thing we weren’t in a hurry. Once we got on the main two-lane highway, traffic moved much quicker and we got back to the campground around 4:00. We had cocktails before dinner and had leftover chili. The sun tried to peek out all day and did every now and then, but it was basically an overcast day with temps in the mid to upper 70’s. We enjoyed the evening and will try to check out the meteor shower tonight if the clouds cooperate.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *