August 17, 2019 Old Orchard Beach, ME (day 4)


It was cool and damp this morning.  Bob slept in and I got up around 7:00 to work on my blog from yesterday.  I had some Internet issues the night before, so I needed to catch up on my blog.  We made plans to go down to the beach today and check it out.  We had breakfast and got ready to leave.  By the time we left at 11:00, it was starting to drizzle, so we grabbed our umbrellas in case it rained harder.  Bob was our driver today and Mike sat in the front seat to give him directions on how to get to the beach in Old Orchard Beach.

It was a short drive and traffic was light for a Saturday.

We found cheap parking at the local American Legion Hall for $5 and walked one block to the main street.

There were a lot of people milling about on the streets–shopping and eating.  It wasn't as crowded as it could have been if it had been a beautiful day, but there were still a lot of people around.  We made our way to the beach and the pier.

Even though it was cool and cloudy, there were still a fair amount of people on the beach.  I'm sure if the weather had been nicer, there would have been a LOT more people.

Amazingly, there were even people in the 62 degree water.  Yikes!  They are a hearty bunch!

We walked on the pier, in and out of the misting rain and did some window shopping.  There are some unusual shops on the pier–tattoo artists, fast food vendors of all kinds, bars and restaurants, t-shirt shops, and even a CBD shop.

We took some time to check out the beach from the pier.  From there, we got a good view of the amusement rides in operation.

We stopped for a beer and a bite to eat to get out of the weather.  From there, we walked along the other side of the main street stopping in a few shops along the way.  There was a lot to look at.

We spent about 2 hours at the pier area and then drove back to the campground.

The rain had stopped so we were able to sit outside.  We played some cards and a game Patti brought along.  We started a campfire before dinner and sat there for awhile with Auggie.

We suggested going out for pizza tonight, but Patti and Mike had brought along all the fixings for pizza and could make it on their grill.  

I watched Mike stretch the ready-made dough on their pizza grill and heat it up.

 After it was nice and brown on both sides, he slathered on the pizza sauce and toppings.

 Within a few short minutes it was done.  We devoured the first one and he made a second one with different toppings.  It was deliciously cheesy!  What a treat!  After dinner, Patti and I took Auggie for his walk around the campground.  Being Saturday, the campground was very full with lots of tenters.  When we got back, Patti and I sat at the fire, while the guys started to put things away for our departure tomorrow.  Rain was expected tonight, so we wanted to put as much as we could away so it wouldn't get wet.  We all sat around the campfire until it started to rain about 9:00.  We headed to our campers for the evening.  We could hear thunder off in the distance and the radar showed that it would be raining more, but it didn't last long.  Bob stayed up for awhile watching some TV, while I worked on my blog.   Both the McBrides and us are leaving tomorrow.  The McBrides are heading back home and we will be off to Littleton, MA for just an overnight stop.  It has been a fun 4 days with Patti and Mike. Thanks for showing us such a good time!


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *