August 15, 2018 Brookfield, WI (Day 6)

We slept in and laid in bed for awhile after waking.  We just enjoyed listening to the birds outside.  Anne and Izzy went to dance practice at 9:30.  James and Kaya left at 10:00 for freshman orientation at Brookfield Central High School.  I took it upon myself to do a little tidying up in their garage before the garbage trucks came.  Today was trash and recycle pick-up day.  Bob took the leaf blower and blew out all the dirt and dust in the garage when I was done.  Can you see Bob in all the dust?

After we were done, Bob and I ran a few errands.  We went to the bank, Wal-Mart, and Pick ‘n Save.  We bought Izzy a bell for her bike like we promised.  When Anne and Izzy got home, Izzy noticed the new bell right away.  She loved it and was so excited to try out her new bell.  
She has made so much progress in the 4 days that we’ve been here with her bike riding.  From not being able to ride her bike at all, to riding her bike with training wheels, learning how to brake, and turning around while still moving.  Izzy wanted to try riding her bike on the road, so I walked with Izzy while she rode her bike around the block.  On our walk, I gave Izzy a little lesson in bike safety on the road.  She did great and wanted to keep practicing. But first, Grandpa had to give Izzy’s bike a tune-up.  The chain had come off and needed tightening, the training wheels needed adjusting, and the tires needed air.  After that, she was good to go again.
Izzy and I took a break from riding while Bob cleaned the awning on the trailer.  I had to help by holding the ladder now and then.
After a little more practice, Izzy and I decided to go for a swim.
I went into the trailer to change into my suit and spent a little time talking to their neighbor, Miss Carol.  When I was finally ready to swim, Izzy had fallen asleep and Anne and James were working on their computers, so I had the pool to myself.  I used a floatie and just lazed around in the pool.  I was in heaven!  It was so relaxing that I almost fell asleep myself.  When Bob got finished with the awning, he joined me poolside.  Anne and Izzy joined us later.  Around 4:30, Karen (Bob’s ex) stopped by to take a swim in the pool.  She and Bob chatted awhile and then she was off to swim.  She was unaware that the picture was being taken 🙂
It was time for us to get ready to go to Dad’s place for his actual birthday today–August 15.  We cleaned up and left at 5:00.  My sister was bringing the pizza and birthday cake.  It was Dad’s favorite kind of cake–angel food.  Bob sat with Dad out on his deck and chatted when we first got there.  
Dad and Bob
Dad found a set of knives that someone had discarded and didn’t want anymore.  He gave them to Bob and Bob was happy to get them.  Bob likes to use good knives when he cooks.
Dad’s next door neighbor, Flo, stopped by to wish Dad a “happy birthday” and drop off a small jar of nuts.  Dad asked Flo for a birthday kiss and she gave him one right on the lips.  She is a wonderful neighbor and keeps an eye on Dad for us.  She is one of the first people my parents met when they moved back to Wisconsin.  She’s a real sweetie!
Flo and Dad
We all visited and ate pizza before lighting the candles on the cake.  
We sang “happy birthday”.  Then Dad made a wish and blew out the candles.  

Peg had come over to Dad’s apartment earlier in the day to decorate his door for his birthday.
He was surprised to see his door when he went out to pick up his paper.  We took pictures with him there.
Peg, Dad, and I
Around 7:30, we left and headed back to Anne’s.  It was hard to leave, knowing that it would be awhile before we saw each other again.  Sad times.  Back at the house, Izzy was waiting for us to finish watching the movie that we started to watch the other night.  We got a chance to chat with Kaya about his orientation today.  He said he was a excited, but nervous too.  His classes sound interesting and challenging.  He starts school on September 4.  Izzy, James, Bob, and I enjoyed the movie, the popcorn, and seeing the fort that Izzy had built this afternoon.
Kaya didn’t want to watch the movie and Anne was at a dance meeting tonight.  After the movie, Bob and I went back to the trailer to watch a little TV.  We are moving on tomorrow to spend 4 days in Madison visiting Bob’s family and our friends.  We had a great time visiting Anne and the family!  We will miss them all!


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *